Monday, March 23, 2009

Survived another Sunday night

Thank goodness it's Monday. Last night was no picnic! I truly believe Jeff has his days and nights mixed up. As I had posted in the past - for three days after chemo his sense of time, etc. is on target and this I believe is from the steroid that is mixed with his chemo drug that he gets on Thursday. When that wears off we are back to confusion and roaming all night.

He slept most of the day on Sunday only to be up pretty much all evening. I woke up around 4AM to see all the lights and TV on with him walking around without his walker. I think I found the walker outside on the lanai. Not using the walker poises a real danger because we have all tile floors and one fall could result in broken bones. I got him situated so I could go back to sleep only to hear him up again five minutes later. Around 5AM I decided that I might as well get up and start my day. If only I could find a way to keep him awake during the day so he'd sleep at night. That's next to impossible unless I put him in the car and drive him around during daylight.

The nurse at my mother's new assisted living facility called last week and wants to meet with her this morning to go over her medical needs prior to her move there. The move is getting closer and as soon as they receive their state occupational license they will be allowing everyone to move in. Hopeful this will take place the first of April. That will also depend on the availability of the movers.

Jeff's cataract surgery has been successful as far as I can tell. It's really strange not seeing him wear glasses. The only downside to the surgery is all the eye drops that are required for two weeks after. At least we have five days under our belt so we can see an end to this chore in the not too distant future.

This week should be an easy one - with only three days of facial stimulation by the speech therapist and chemo on Thursday. This is last one (of this series) and then we will schedule the PET scan to see where we are. Hopefully, with all your prayers, it will show that the new chemo drug is doing its job. Unfortunately I think that the radiation he received last summer did a number on his memory and response time. I hope I am wrong on that front and the chemo he is receiving is causing this because then it would be temporary. That's a question I will ask the Oncologist on Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. We are really hoping the scan will show good news. Can you manage any sleep during the daytime? Maybe it would help. Hope all goes well with Mom's move to the new facility.